Director of Tree Preservation
Olmstead Center, Queens, NY
Contact Phone: 718-760-6466
Descrption: The Environment and Planning Division aims to protect, restore and expand New York City Parks and manage natural areas and tree canopy, all to maximize benefits for environmental and community health and resilience.
• Under the direction of the Chief of Forestry Programs, with wide latitude for independent judgment and decision-making, develop, promulgate, and uphold standards and protocols for tree care and preservation for street and park trees.
• Oversee the Permits Plan & Review and Tree Replacement & Restitution program, including staff, operations, reporting and tracking, policies and procedures.
• Oversee the Trees & Sidewalks program, including staff, contracts and budgets, operations, reporting, policies and procedures.
• Oversee the Forestry Maintenance Contracts program, including staff, contracts, budgets, operations, reporting, policies and procedures.
• Research new materials, methods, regulations, and policies relating to forest pests and diseases. Draft and promulgate applicable policy to manage urban forest threats.
• Centrally coordinate between the five borough forestry offices to ensure standard application of tree preservation protocols and practices.
• Work with other Parks divisions, agencies, utilities and/or trade associations to enforce Department of Parks and Recreation tree preservation and protection policies.
• Research new materials, methods, and policies relating to tree care, protection and preservation.
• Perform forestry tasks as necessary including tree inventories, tree condition and hazard evaluations, and tree inspections.
• Prepare briefings, reports, evaluations and correspondence.
• Provide regular updates on the status of various projects and programs and ensure that projects advance in a timely manner.
• Support the agency’s storm response efforts as a liaison with the Downed Trees Task Force.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape architecture and four years of full-time, paid experience in horticultural work of which two (2) years must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial, or executive capacity; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent. However, all candidates must have at least a high school diploma or evidence of having passed an examination for a high school equivalency diploma and one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial, or executive experience as described above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam, or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency is required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.
PREFERRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
1. Certification as “Arborist” or “Board Certified Master Arborist” by the International Society of Arboriculture; or “Registered Consulting Arborist” by the American Society of Consulting Arborists.
2. A master’s degree from an accredited university in forestry or a related subject; or 7 years of experience in tree preservation and protection, pruning, installation and establishment, diagnosis and treatment of insect and disease problems, and other related arboricultural services.
3. Excellent writing, administrative and interpersonal skills. Strong leadership skills and capacity to reconcile input from multiple stakeholders while meeting overall organizational objectives.
4. Experience with and understanding of construction techniques and building requirements and ability to comprehend road, building and construction plans.
5. Strong knowledge of Agency divisions and/or government operations.
6. Valid New York State driver license.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link:
https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 584078. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 584078.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 584078 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 584078.
POST DATE: 04/21/2023 POST UNTIL: 05/12/2023
Include your ERN and Job ID# 580269 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Forester OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 580269.