CHIEF OF FORESTRY PROGRAMS
City of New York Parks & Recreation
• Under the direction of the Assistant Commissioner of Forestry and Horticulture, with wide latitude for the exercise of
independent judgment and decision-making, oversee programs including tree preservation; tree procurement and planting;
forestry maintenance contracts, sidewalk repair, tree work permits; building plan review; and forestry emergency response.
• Provide senior level management for the design, procurement, and implementation of capital, expense, and grant funded
Tree Planting, Trees & Sidewalks, Pest and Disease Management, and other forestry management programs.
• Provide leadership in enforcing forestry performance management standards to maximize efficiency, equity, and customer
• Contribute to the division’s stewardship efforts and apply GIS & analytical tools, scientific research, monitoring, and adaptive
management to enhance policy decisions and program management.
• Work with senior staff on all associated budget, procurement, personnel, administrative, productivity reporting, database
management, tracking, and related programs for the entire division.
• Develop policy to ensure coordination and effective delivery of forestry services to other divisions of the agency, other
agencies, and the public.
• Manage and motivate assigned staff to meet agency objectives. Help plan and implement staff training programs and
perform staff evaluations. Communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of management.
• Pursue grants and funding and develop partnerships with other agencies, environmental groups, and universities.
• Manage complex jobs and projects that require prompt attention and resolution. Address and resolve time-sensitive issues
that impact agency services and/or completion of division and agency initiatives.
• Represent the agency and division at meetings, hearings, conferences, and other venues.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape architecture
and four years of full-time, paid experience in horticultural work of which two (2) years must have been in a supervisory,
administrative, consultative, managerial or executive capacity; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent. However, all candidates must have at least a high school diploma or evidence of having passed
an examination for a high school equivalency diploma and one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial
or executive experience as described above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees
with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
1. A master’s degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or 10 years of experience in forestry or related field.
2. Strong knowledge of agency structure and divisions and/or government operations.
3. Certification as an Arborist, Board Certified Master Arborist, or Qualified Tree Risk Assessor from the International Society of
4. Excellent executive level skills in management, administration, supervision, and communication. Record of goals-based
5. At least five years of direct supervision of supervisory and line staff in diverse task areas including technical functions.
6. Experience in fiscal and personnel management, contracts, and inventory management.
7. Proficiency in computer software including, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Internet usage.
8. Valid New York State driver license.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been
granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your
date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
How to Apply
1. From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this
link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/ Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 565157. Do not access ESS using
nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2. From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link:
https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 565157.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 565157 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Chief of Forestry Programs OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 565157.