: CITY OF NEW YORK PARKS & RECREATION SEASONAL JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Office Title: Forester Duration: 1 year/September 2022 to August 2023 Civil Service Title: Forester Level II Salary:$32.57/hr. (35 hours per week) Number of Positions: 3 Work Location: TBD
NYC Parks is the steward of over 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. We operate more than 800 athletic fields and nearly 1,000 playgrounds, 1,800 basketball courts, 550 tennis courts, 67 public pools, 51 recreational facilities, 15 nature centers, 14 golf courses, and 14 miles of beaches. We care for 1,200 monuments and 23 historic house museums. We look after 600,000 street trees, and two million more in parks. We are New York City's principal providers of recreational and athletic facilities and programs. We are home to free concerts, world-class sports events, and cultural festivals.
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
Employees who work for 6 months or longer are eligible for healthcare benefits.
• Under general supervision, perform advanced professional forestry functions in the field and office; perform related work.
• Enforce Parks Department standards for tree pruning, removal, planting, replacement, and construction impacts. Assess work to be done by contractors; engage in directly and supervise employees involved in professional forestry activities.
• Consult with engineers, developers and contractors on a regular basis throughout projects.
• Schedule and supervise field surveys and inspections to assess the conditions of trees for health, structure, pests and diseases.
• Compile and manage tree planting or maintenance contracts. Survey sites and make species selections for planting and site design. Inspect and tag trees at local nurseries. Inspect trees for planting success or maintenance prescriptions.
• Respond to citizen inquiries and maintain working relationships with community boards, community groups and officials within and outside of the agency. Coordinate community-based greening efforts and lead tree stewardship workshops.
• Examine other agency and private construction plans to assess impact on trees and landscapes and/or issue related permits for tree planting or work on or around existing trees.
• Manage borough-wide tree database and track, monitor and produce reports on budgets, productivity, accomplishments and program status updates.
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and one year of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
3. An associate degree from an accredited college or university, with a specialization in forestry or a related subject and three years of full-time professional experience in forestry or arboricultural work; or
4. A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience that is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above. However, all candidates must have at least an associate degree with a specialization in forestry or a related subject.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
A Motor Vehicle driver's license valid in the State of New York. Serious moving violations, license suspension or accident record may disqualify you. This license must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
1. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
2. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Experience working with the public.
3. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Fees: Hired candidates may be subject to a processing fee of $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
Or mail to: Jannelle McCoy, NYC Parks, Olmsted Center, 117-02 Roosevelt Ave. Flushing, NY 11368
Parks & City Employees:incIude your ERN on your cover letter and resume.