: CITY OF NEW YORK PARKS & RECREATION CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE: Job ID No. 537944
Office Title: Climber & Pruner Civil Service Title: Climber & Pruner Title Code No: 81303 Level: NA Salary: $64,177
Number of Positions: TBD Work Location: TBD
NYC Parks offers an excellent benefits package including pension, health, dental and vision coverage, vacation/sick days, union membership and on-the-job training.
• Under supervision, perform all types of work required for the planting, maintenance and removal of trees and large shrubs.
• Climb, prune, brace, cut and fell trees and large shrubs.
• Operate bucket truck, including aerial lift and cherry picker, as well as chipper and other similar equipment.
• Identify hazard defects of trees and ensure public safety.
• Spray trees and large shrubs and perform tree inspections.
• Identify trees by species and inspect for the Asian Longhorned Beetle and other pests and diseases.
• Prepare and use composting sites.
1. Six months of satisfactory, full-time experience as a climber and pruner or arborist performing all types of tree work required for the planting, maintenance and removal of trees and shrubs including climbing, pruning, bracing, cutting and felling trees and large shrubs and operating manual, power driven and motorized equipment required for the performance of these duties.
2. Experience as a ground person is not acceptable towards meeting this requirement.
Special Working Conditions:
1. When responding to emergency conditions, Climber and Pruners may be required to work shifts including nights, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
2. Some of the physical activities performed by Climber and Pruners and environmental conditions experienced are: climbing in and out of an aerial lift device (bucket truck); climbing up in a tree using rope and harness or bucket; operating a chainsaw; operating heavy motorized equipment such as bucket truck, chipper, loader, and stump grinder; lifting and moving heavy objects; standing for extended periods of time; and working outdoors in a restricted space in an urban environment in all kinds of weather, including severe weather conditions.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment, eligibles must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York, and a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York within one year of being appointed to this position. Serious moving violations, license suspension or accident record may disqualify you. This Class B Commercial Driver License must be maintained for the duration of your employment. Such license must not include any restrictions which would preclude the performance of Climber and Pruner work.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/
. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 537944. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess
from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess
or use this link:https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/
. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 537944.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 537944 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Click here to apply: Climber & Pruner OR
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
and search for Job ID# 537944.
POST DATE: 08/05/2022 POST UNTIL: 09/02/2022*
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. *Posting period extended to 09/02/2022. Previous applicants to Job ID# 529535 are still under consideration and need not reapply. References will be required upon request.