: CITY OF NEW YORK PARKS & RECREATION
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE: Job ID No. 545447
Office Title: Director of Forestry
Civil Service Title: Administrative Horticulturist Title Code No: 1007C Level: NM
Salary: $95,000 - $110,000
Number of Positions: 1 Work Location: Overlook, Queens
• Under general direction, manage all phases of the care and preservation of street and park trees throughout the borough.
• Oversee supervisors, climbers and pruners, foresters, horticulture staff and other field and administrative staff as required.
• Manage in-house and contracted street and park tree maintenance programs including inspections, pruning, tree and stump removal,
sidewalk repair around trees, pest and diseases and tree protection. Prioritize all forestry work to accomplish agency goals.
• Lead borough storm emergency response efforts to safeguard human health and property, clear streets and sidewalks of tree debris and
mobilize additional non-forestry crews and equipment as required. Supervise storm emergency contractors if such contracts are activated.
Be on-call for immediate assessment and management of storm related emergencies.
• Oversee forestry office operations including the accurate and timely use of ForMS relating to service requests, inspections, work orders and
reports. Work with ITT and other forestry divisions on continued development of ForMS and associated software.
• Analyze and utilize data to properly allocate resource and prioritize work.
• Perform staff development and training of agency and/or volunteers regarding tree maintenance and preservation, hazard and storm
damage assessment, pests and diseases of trees and forestry equipment operation.
• Represent the borough and/or the Agency, when appropriate, to articulate and enforce Parks’ tree protection policies in the planning,
design and construction phases of Parks Capital and other public and private construction projects.
• Prepare briefings, reports, evaluations, budgets and correspondence related to Parks’ borough forestry program. Provide regular
updates on the status of various projects and programs and ensure that projects are advanced in a timely manner.
• Direct tree pest and disease management programs, including inspecting for and responding to Dutch elm disease infections.
Maintain self and staff familiarity with new pests, including directing inspections of host trees and reporting as required.
• Perform restitution as per the NYC Tree Valuation protocol and Local Law 3 of 2010 before issuing tree removal permits.
• Coordinate with Central Forestry & Horticulture on tree planting permits and contracts, grants and other urban forestry and
sustainability projects in the borough. Coordinate with NRG on reforestation projects within the borough.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape architecture and four years
of full-time, paid experience in horticultural work of which two (2) years must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative,
managerial or executive capacity; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent. However, all candidates must have at least a high school diploma or evidence of having passed an examination
for a high school equivalency diploma and one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, managerial or executive experience as
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two
years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hiring for all other candidates.
1. Master’s degree with specialization in horticulture, forestry, natural resource management or a related subject, or at least 5
years of experience in one of these fields.
2. I.S.A Certification, A.S.C.A. Registered Consulting Arborist and/or New York State Pesticide License.
3. Strong knowledge of agency structure and divisions and/or government operations.
4. Excellent writing, supervisory, administrative and interpersonal skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and ForMS database.
5. Valid New York State driver license.
Vaccination Requirement: As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been
granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your
date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.nyc.gov/parks
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING
A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED
CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL'S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL
ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link:https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/
. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 545447. Do not access ESS usingnyc.gov/ess
from a Parks computer.
2) Parks & City Employees:
From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess
or use this link: https://a127->
. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 545447.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 545447 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
and search for Job ID# 545447.
POST DATE: 08/12/2022 POST UNTIL: 09/09/2022
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request. If you have any questions regarding
this vacancy or require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please call the Human Resources Division at (212) 830-7851.