Civil Service Title: Community Coordinator
Title Code No: 56058 Level: NA
Salary: $52,524- $81,535
Number of Positions: 1 Work Location: Olmsted Center, Queens
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside the urban ecosystem. The Tree Preservation Unit manages programs and policies that are integral to the pursuit of these objectives.
• Under general direction of the Senior Project Manager and Director of Tree Preservation, with some latitude for independent initiative and judgment, develop, improve and coordinate NYC Parks Forestry and Horticulture Training and Safety Program.
• Research regulations and industry standards and best safety practices related to work by municipal employees and contractors engaged in tree planting, maintenance and removal and horticulture work in all types of environments encountered in NYC, including streets, parks and natural areas.
• Assist in the development of NYC Parks Forestry and Horticulture Safety Plan.
• Recommend and implement policies to improve safe work practices and a culture of health and safety.
• Assist in the development and implementation of procedures to evaluate factors leading to accidents or injuries and opportunities to prevent recurrence.
• Develop and implement methods to evaluate compliance with agency-approved safety policies; collect and present related statistics.
• Develop, coordinate and/or conduct trainings on topics including health and safety, accident prevention, and operation of specialized vehicles and equipment in tree planting, maintenance, removal and horticulture work.
• Research and coordinate new and ongoing training opportunities with outside vendors.
• Coordinate scheduling of exams and trainings for Arborist Certification and Tree Risk Assessment Qualification of eligible employees; maintain current records of employees’ credentials.
• Manage and track budget for training, certification and safety equipment; coordinate with Purchasing & Accounting.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
1. Certification as “Arborist” or possession of “Tree Risk Assessment Qualification” by the International Society of Arboriculture or “Treecare Safety Professional” by the Tree Care Industry Association.
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with major study in forestry, horticulture or a related subject; or a minimum of 4 years of field experience in arboriculture or horticulture with a focus on safety practices.
3. Proven experience in leadership, motivating employees and/or coworkers, education, curriculum development, or public speaking.
4. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
5. Demonstrated, extensive knowledge of relevant safety regulations and standards.
6. Excellent writing and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze data and produce reports.
7. Experience with and understanding of construction techniques and building requirements and ability to comprehend road, building and construction plans.
8. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
9. Strong knowledge of agency divisions and/or government operations.
10. Valid New York State driver license.
How to Apply
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 376518. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127- ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 376518.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 376518 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 376518.
POST DATE: 01/25/19 POST UNTIL: 02/22/19*
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. *Posting period extended to 02/22/19. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. References will be required upon request. If you have any questions regarding this vacancy or require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please call the Personnel Division at (212) 830-7851.