NYSA supports students enrolled in arboriculture, urban forestry or other tree-related fields and who intend to pursue a career in this field providing up to two $1,000 awards to suitable candidates. These awards are designed to assist students with their education-related expenses. Awards shall be non-discriminatory with respect to race, color, sex, religion, age, or national origin.
The requirements for the scholarship are as follows:
- Applicant must be a New York State resident
- Applicant must be beginning or continuing studies in arboriculture, urban forestry or other tree industry-related fields
- Applicant must intend to pursue a career in arboriculture, urban forestry or other tree-related fields
- Brief essay (50-100 words) written on application as to why you chose this field of study and your future plans in the industry
- Proof of enrollment in an arboriculture, forestry or tree-related program at the accredited college, university or technical school
- A letter of recommendation from one of your current professors or an appropriate supervisor
- A statement of need (MAY be considered)
Policies & Procedures
The number and amount of awards will be determined annually by the Board of Directors from budgeted funds. Awards shall be given to the most deserving students who best meet the eligibility criteria. Applications for awards must be submitted to the New York State Arborists, ISA Chapter, Inc. Board of Directors. Funds shall be awarded only after the recipient has been verified to be enrolled at the accredited college, university or technical school.
The Board of Director shall define the number and amount of awards to be offered each year. The process of selection will be administered by the NYSA Board of Directors. If a member of the Board of Directors is related to or noted on application as a provider, employer, instructor, reference, or for any reason may feel that they may not be able to render an unbiased decision, they will remove themselves from the selection process for that individual(s) or as long as necessary.
Awards may be presented at the Annual Meeting, January 27-28, 2018 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Suffern.